I'm coming up fast on my second anniversary of graduating from college, marrying the love of my life, and moving all the way from Texas to Maryland. Naturally, with this many anniversaries coming around, I'm starting to get pretty reflective. Going from the me of 2011 to the me of 2013 has been a pretty crazy journey, and it's time to start documenting some of this stuff for me, for those of you who care about me, and for those who might be going through the same ride that I did soon. Here are a few things I want to establish about my blog:
- I don't have my life figured out, that's not why I'm blogging. I'm blogging because I don't want to forget where I was and how I got to this point. If I forget those things, I won't remember how to grow past 2013 me.
- I'm not a writer. Sorry grammar fiends of the interwebs, I'm just not going to spell everything right or punctuate correctly all the time, but it's not because I'm not trying. My brain is just good at replacing grammar knowledge with other things I learn.
- I am a Christian and I will write through that lens often. It's how I see the world, it's how I live life. It's messy, it's crazy, it's super hard, but I am continually reminded that it's worth it. If you are here to argue with me about my beliefs, go ahead and take a hike, this isn't for you.
- I'm not promising any sort of post frequency. I know, I know, blogger no-no, but life is crazy and I want to live it.
One of the things that you guys will realize I have learned is that goal making is really important. Establishing a mission, values and goals for each thing you do will set you up for success. I was a huge rebel to this idea in college, but after being knocked back on my bum after running in meaningless circles a few too many times, I realized having goals and focus isn't a bad thing. Here are a few preliminary goals of my blog:
- Documenting my journey from fresh out of college, to self-employed and having somewhat of a consistent income.
- Sharing how I have and am continuing to squash the crushing self-doubt that paralyzed me for quite some time.
- Sharing how I try to stay motivated, focused and productive without a boss looming over my head.
- Sharing my growth in faith along side my growth in career.
- Giving my two cents on how to save two cents. How we are managing our debt, and not letting it keep us from living.
- Sharing some awesome church communication/design wins in my experiences at The Church at Severn Run as their Brand and Communications Manager.
I'm sure the random fun post will pop in every once in a while, but these are the things I want to reflect on the most. I hope y'all enjoy hearing my story. And if this template lets you post comments, leave me your thoughts.